Remaking the Economy: Organizing & Wealth Building in Communities of Color – Non Profit News – Nonprofit Quarterly
Acquire the slides right here.
NPQ’s latest webinar in our Remaking the Financial system collection appears On the intersection of group organizing and wealth constructing in Black, Indigenous And completely different people of colour communities.
This webinar appears at efforts To rearrange and construct wealth in three particular communities in America: the border metropolis of El Paso, Texas; a worker co-op organizing group in Cincinnati that has additionally supported comparable efforts in California and Mississippi; and group-based mostly enterprise enchancment in Indian Nation amongst Minnesota’s tribal nations.
Main this dialogue are our three professional panelists:
Lorena Andrade is the director Of L. a. Mujer Obrera in El Paso, Texas, A gaggle started by Chicana activists in 1981. The nonprofit operates two small social enterprises, wright hereas additionally organizing for environmental simplyice Inside the 6,000-resident Chamizal border neighborhood.
Pamela Standing is cofounder and director of the Minnesota Indigenous Industry Alliance, which helps Native companies throughout the state, collectively with a “Buy Native” advertising campaign, As properly as to teaching co-op constructers on The biggest Method to work in tribal communities.
Ellen Vera directs co-op organizing at Co-op Cincy in Cincinnati, Ohio. In her position, she has not simply labored To rearrange co-ops in Cincinnati, however has supported worker co-op organizing throughout the country, collectively with in Jackson, Mississippi and Santa Ana, California.
This webinar explores:
- How does one arrange To assemble each group wealth and group power? Wright here are tright here synergies? Wright here are tright here tensions?
- How does one maintaInside the deep relationships Important to effectively arrange On the group diploma?
- What are concrete examples rising from the work That are proving efficient in constructing wealth in communities of colour?
- How have efforts To assemble group wealth and power been maintained amid COVID-19?
- What does equitable meals-oriented enchancment entail? How have its guidelines been carried out in El Paso?
- What classes has Co-op Cincy drawn from its Co-op U program of working with co-op organizing teams in a quantity of communities throughout the country?
- What strategies have confirmed efficient To assist create co-op enchancment infrastructure in Indian Nation that speaks to Indigenous values?
- What position can nonprofits and philanthropy play in constructing organizing performance and wealth in communities of colour?
Co-op Cincy, 2019 Annual Report, Cincinnati, Ohio: Co-op Cincy, 2020.
Steve Dubb, “Grassroots Movement Promotes Adoption of ‘Union Co-op Mannequin,” NPQ, December 15, 2017.
Minnesota Indigenous Industry Alliance and Cooperative Development Providers, Starting the Cooperative Journey Together: A Information to Indigenous Cooperative Development, …….